Access to mental health services in Texas is limited and mental illness often goes untreated in our state.
- Texas ranks 50th in the nation when it comes to mental health funding per capita.
- Mental illness costs businesses in Texas $270 billion, and the state $13 billion annually.
- >1.3 million (or 20%) of Texas children have a mental health disorder, however more than 50% of these do not receive care.
- Nationally, 70% of children involved with the juvenile justice department meet criteria for a mental illness.
- Over 200 counties in Texas lack a sufficient workforce of practicing psychiatrists.
- As Texas has grown, the per-capita psychiatric hospital capacity has fallen from 11.3 to 10.5 beds/100,000 people between 2013 and 2015.
The Mental Health Committee has worked to improve access to mental health care in Texas.